The North American Mixing Forum of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers
Revised 6/25/2014 | Approved 6/25/2014
The North American Mixing Forum is a multidisciplinary, international group promoting scholarship, research and education in the field of mixing.
The Forum is affiliated with the American institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) and conducts its programming through the AIChE Program Committee. AIChE Council will appoint a Liaison to the Forum. Since May 7, 2001, NAMF has also become an incorporated non-profit organization.
Membership in the Forum is by self-selection. Anyone who attends a Biennial Conference of the Forum will be considered a member as will anyone who applies in writing to the Secretary of the Executive Council.
IV. The Executive Council
The term of office is six years with one third the Council membership standing for office at each Biennial Conference. There is no restriction on consecutive terms.
New council members are elected by a simple plurality of the general membership who are present and voting at the Biennial Conference. Each voting member may select candidates from a slate prepared by the Nominating Committee but open to nominations from the floor. The slate prepared by the Nominating Committee shall allow conformance to the requirements for membership in the Executive Council. If the votes from the general membership would elect candidates who would violate these requirements, the non-conforming candidates receiving the lowest number of votes shall be replaced by conforming candidates having the highest number of votes among those not elected.
Should any Council memberships become vacant, temporary members can be appointed by the Council. Elections for any unexpired terms will be held at the next Biennial Conference.
B. Meetings of the Executive Council
The Executive Council will hold at least one meeting per year.
Officers of the North American Mixing Forum consist of a President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. These are elected from among Council members for two year terms, with the Vice President automatically succeeding the President. All elections will be held at the Biennial Conference. Successful candidates will receive a plurality of votes cast by the general membership. The Nominating Committee will prepare a slate of candidates, but other council members can be nominated from the floor.
To stand for election, a nominee must be a member of the Executive Council. If elected, an officer remains eligible to serve throughout the fixed term of office.
The Standing Committees and their duties are:
- Program Committee -To arrange technical sessions at AIChE meetings for NAMF.
- Biennial Conference Committee – To organize the Biennial Conference and to select the incoming Chair of the Conference.
- NAMF Awards Committee – To promote research and scholarship in mixing by recognizing members of the Forum who have made outstanding contributions to the field – NAMF Award for Excellence and Sustained Contributions to Mixing Research and Practice.
- Education Committee – To promote education in mixing at the university and postgraduate levels. To select student award winners at each NAMF biennial conference.
- NAMF Early Career Award Committee – To select NAMF Early Career Award Winner to whom NAMF award a research funding for two years.
- Finance Committee – To manage NAMF financial resources.
- Communications Committee – To promote communications within the Forum and to liaise with external organizations. To manage NAMF website and email list.
- Nominating Committee – To nominate a slate of candidates for election to the Executive Council. This committee is chaired by NAMF Vice President.
- Auditing Committee – To annually review the financial procedures and expenditures. This committee includes Secretary and Auditor. The Auditor is selected by the Executive Council.
Ad hoc committees may be formed by the Executive Council as needed.
Each Committee Chair will be selected by the Executive Council for a two Year term. Committee Chairs may come from the Executive Council of the Forum or from the general membership. If not a member of the Executive Council, the Chair of a Standing Committee will become a non-voting, ex-officio member.
Committee members are appointed by the Chairs of the various committees from members of the Forum and approved by the Executive Council.
V. The Biennial Conference
The Forum holds technical and business meetings at North American sites in even-numbered years. The purpose of the business meeting is to elect officers and members of the Executive Council and to conduct other business as may be brought to the general membership by the Executive Council.
NAMF does not collect dues from its members
An annual budget for the North American Mixing Forum will be approved by the Executive Council. Disbursement of funds and other fiscal matters are the responsibility of the Treasurer and the President.
VIII. Amendments to By-laws
Any five members of the Forum can petition the Executive Council to amend the Bylaws. Such proposed amendments will be subject to a two-thirds majority vote by the general membership present and voting at the Business Meeting of the Biennial Conference immediately subsequent to the petition.